This rustic Italian bread has a golden-brown crust and a dense moist texture. The dough for focaccia is indented and olive oil is generously drizzled over the indentations in the dough. Try dipping this flatbread in infused olive oil for the perfect bite!
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
|Passive Time||3 hours|
- 1 cup water filtered or purified, lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon yeast dried
- 2 cups durum wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons thyme and garlic infused olive oil homemade (and some extra to grease)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes from Messolonghi
- Stir the yeast into the water, until it is completely dissolved. Set aside for 10' to bubble.
- Stir the durum wheat flour and salt together.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add 2 tbsps of thyme and garlic infused olive oil and the yeast, adding them gradually until you have a slightly sticky dough.
- Using very clean hands place the dough onto a work surface and knead by hand for about 10’-15’, until it is no longer sticky and can be rolled into a ball. You can use slightly wet hands.
- Pour 2 tbsps of thyme and garlic infused olive oil in a large bowl. Rub the ball with some olive oil and place it seam side down in the bowl.
- Place plastic wrap over the bowl and let the dough prove at warm room temperature for 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Line a 14.5"/37cm x 12"/30cm rectangular baking tray with parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, grease the lined with parchment paper tray with some olive oil.
- Tip the dough out of the bowl and flatten the dough onto the prepared tray, pushing to the corners.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (428°F).
- Press your fingers into the dough to make dimples. Drizzle 2 tbsps of thyme and garlic infused olive oil over the indentations in the dough and top with sea salt flakes.
Top 5 Ways to Serve Focaccia
- Serve as a Greek mezze with thyme and garlic infused olive oil for dipping.
- Focaccia makes beautiful sandwiches, toast, and bruschetta — an antipasto from Italy consisting of grilled focaccia rubbed with garlic and topped with olive oil and salt.
- Cut your focaccia into squares, crack a wheel of Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese and serve as a starter.
- Serve as an appetiser with some Kalamata olives, Greek Macedonian sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs.
- Serve your soup or salad accompanied by focaccia flatbread.
You may also like:
Ancient Greek Flatbread Propyra
Thyme and Garlic Infused Olive Oil Dip
Focaccia with Thyme and Garlic Infused Olive Oil