This multi-purpose olive oil dip will please family members and guests alike. In Greece, it is served as a dip with bread as a Greek mezze to accompany aperitifs. This is a centuries-old recipe as Greeks have been infusing their olive oil with various ingredients since ancient times.
- Pour the olive oil in a saucepan. Heat over low heat for 2'.
- Add the garlic and let it cook for 2'-3'. Pick up the pan and hold it over the burner while stirring.
- Stir thyme into the olive oil.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool in the pan.
- Strain the garlic out of the olive oil.
- Transfer the oil to a glass bottle, thoroughly cleaned and dry.
- Store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How to Use Thyme and Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- Use it for marinades.
- Make your best homemade vinaigrette with infused olive oil.
- Garnish soup dishes, salads, pasta dishes, roasts, mashed potatoes and purées with thyme and garlic infused olive oil.
- For amazing breads such as ancient Greek propyra or focaccia use infused olive oil.
- Drizzle it over melitzanosalata, the traditional Greek aubergine salad, or over Greek tzatziki salad.
- Infused olive oil is the quintessential Greek dipping sauce for bread.
- Drizzle it over Greek Cretan dakos (ntakos).
Thyme and Garlic Infused Olive Oil Dip