If you seek a vegan cheese to whet the palate for the flavours to come, Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese certainly does the trick. My recipe is simple to prepare and follows a 7-ingredient list. Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese provides a buttery and rustic taste without lingering in the mouth. My almond cheese has a mild cheesy aroma: earthy, fruity, delicate. Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese is versatile enough to be eaten at every meal and to be paired with sweet and salty foods. My recipe is easy and economic, and the almond cheese is a vegan and dairy-free substitute for Greek feta. My almond cheese is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose-free, casein-free, and it does not contain agar-agar or gelatin.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||5 minutes|
|Passive Time||12 hours|
- 1/3 cup water cold (filtered or purified)
- 6 teaspoons cornflour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup water lukewarm (filtered or purified)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Greek extra virgin (and some extra to grease)
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon freshly juiced
- Gather all ingredients on your worktop.
- Stir the cornflour in the cup with the cold water until it has been dissolved.
- Pour the almond flour into a saucepan, set on medium-low heat. Toast the flour; use a wooden spoon to stir it continuously. Toast the flour, until it is golden. When we heat almond flour up, it releases its natural oils.
- Carefully pour the lukewarm water into the saucepan, as it begins to bubble. Keep stirring the mixture continuously. Stir the cornflour-water mixture into the saucepan. Observe that the mixture thickens rapidly; the texture changes from watery to creamy.
- Season with salt and garlic powder. Pour the olive oil, and simmer for a few minutes, until it thickens. Stir the lemon juice into the mixture.
- Using pastry brush, grease a small round ceramic or glass bowl about 10x5 cm with some olive oil. Spoon your cheese into the bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- Wrap in plastic or cover with a lid, and store in the refrigerator. It is best to cut it the next day. Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese will keep for 1 week.
- Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
- My recipe is simple to prepare and follows a 7-ingredient list (+water).
- This almond cheese is a vegan and dairy-free substitute for Greek feta.
- My almond cheese is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose-free, casein-free, and it does not contain agar-agar or gelatin.
- Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese is a calcium-rich cheese that vegans can eat and a great source of vitamin E, among others.
- Recreating my recipe does not require having special kitchen tools and utensils.
- My recipe is easy and economic.
Ways to use Sophia's Vegan & Dairy-free Almond Cheese
- This almond cheese is a savoury and rich crêpe, ravioli, mini pies, tartlets, tacos, tortillas filling.
- If you have a more sophisticated palate, slice freshly baked Pelanos bread, top with Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese and homemade vanilla fig preserves. Homemade almond cheese is perfect for a picnic, Thanksgiving and Christmas breakfast, a beautiful Sunday brunch with family and friends.
- Serve a salad with some slices of almond cheese as a starter or a main meal salad. Green salad with red currants and fresh figs dressed harmonically with an aphrodisiac fig vinaigrette and garnished with slices of Sophia's almond cheese, masterly executed, is a piece of art.
- Top Cretan dakos or ntakos with crumbled almond cheese.
- Add this almond cheese as the finishing garnish to your favourite pasta dish. This makes a great casual weeknight dinner!
- Try Sophia's vegan and dairy-free almond cheese as a delightful garnish on soups. My rustic pumpkin-chestnut soup is garnished with almond cheese.
- Spread it on pizza!
- Slice freshly baked bread, top with almond cheese and pear jam with star anise, a Mediterranean gastronomic treasure!
- Serve it as a Greek mezze!
Sophia’s Vegan & Dairy-free Almond Cheese